Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Message for Duncan and Harper - I am an "Indian" under the Indian Act!

You are not going to disenfranchise Minnie Iserhoff's family from the Indian Act in 2011 without telling us. I have a right to know the details of the protest review that the Department of Indian Affairs is undertaking pursuant to section 14 of the Indian Act regarding our right to registration as Status Indians under the Indian Act. 

I am a Cree woman and the Indian Act is a racist piece of legislation that should be repealed in its entirety and not replaced. We have acquired rights under the Indian Act that you cannot unilaterally withdraw without due process. 

I submitted an Access to Information request in March 2010 for the contents of my personal file, my mother's, Helen Iserhoff, and my deceased grandmother's file, Minnie Iserhoff, at the Department of Indian Affairs and they are not releasing that information to me.  Why are you keeping my file a secret?  Did Indian Affairs already disenfranchise me without informing me? I have a right to know that information.

My children and many of my nieces, nephews, and cousins are excluded from Bill C-3 and they have a right to be registered as Indians under the Indian Act.

My great grandfather, Samuel Iserhoff, actually signed Treaty 9 in July 1905.  You cannot say that we are not "Indians"!

WHO IS WATCHING OUT FOR YOU AND OUR CHILDREN?

No comments:

Post a Comment