Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stephen Harper and Manny Jules: Sonny and Cher!


Prime Minister Harper appointed Manny Jules as Head of the First Nations Tax Commission in 2006.  Manny Jules is earning a federal GCQ-7 salary of $190,400 – 224,000/year, which may be tax-free pursuant to section 87 of the Indian Act if the First Nations Tax Commission office is located on Manny Jules’ First Nation and if Manny is a Status Indian under the Indian Act.  Manny Jules was Chief of Kamloops Indian Band for 16 years.   The First Nations Tax Commission office is located somewhere in or near Kamloops, B.C.  The Kamloops Indian Band is somewhere in or near Kamloops.  For more information on Manny Jules, see http://www.spiritmap.ca/mjulessl.html. 
Is Manny Jules a status Indian and is his whopping big salary tax-free?  Is Manny Jules advocating for the taxation of First Nations land and not paying income tax on his income? 
Quite the big coin (Manny’s salary) if it is tax-free, don’t you think??? It is quite the big coin even if Manny Jules is paying income tax.  It is quite the big coin considering that the Chair of a comparable organization, the First Nations Statistical Institute, located on Nipissing First Nation, earns a federal CEO-2 salary of $141,600 - $ 166,600/year.  This salary may also be tax-free if the Chair is a Status Indian under the Indian Act.  The salary for the Chair of the First Nations Statistical Institute can be found at http://appointments.gc.ca/prflOrg.asp?OrgID=FNS&type-typ=1&lang=eng.  Manny Jules’ salary is listed as GCQ – 7 on the following website:  http://appointments.gc.ca/prflOrg.asp?OrgID=FNN&type-typ=1&lang=eng.
“The purposes of the First Nations Tax Commission are to: ensure the integrity of the system of first nations real property taxation and promote a common approach to first nations real property taxation nationwide, having regard to variations in provincial real property taxation systems; ensure that the real property taxation systems of first nations reconcile the interests of taxpayers with the responsibilities of chiefs and councils to govern the affairs of first nations; prevent, or provide for the timely resolution of, disputes in relation to the application of local revenue laws; assist first nations in the exercise of their jurisdiction over real property taxation on reserve lands and build capacity in first nations to administer their taxation systems; develop training programs for first nation real property tax administrators; assist first nations to achieve sustainable economic development through the generation of stable local revenues; promote a transparent first nations real property taxation regime that provides certainty to taxpayers; promote understanding of the real property taxation systems of first nations; and provide advice to the Minister regarding future development of the framework within which local revenue laws are made.”  More information on the First Nations Tax Commission and Manny’s salary can be found at their website:  http://appointments.gc.ca/prflOrg.asp?OrgID=FNN&type-typ=1&lang=eng.

Uh, Harper, did you ever think about asking the First Nations and the people what their views are on taxation? I did not think so, otherwise, you would not have developed the colonial First Nations Tax Commission, whose purpose is to provide advice to the Minister.  We, the people, will advise you on issues that affect us, not some federal Tax Commission.
Harper wants to assimilate First Nations people like every other government before him. Harper provided Manny Jules with a political appointment to the First Nations Tax Commission.  Harper likes Manny Jules and he has “got” Manny’s back from 2006-2015!! Quite the benefit bestowed upon Manny Jules.  A nine year appointment - Harper should have just appointed Manny to the Senate.
Manny Jules is currently touring to promote the “privatization of First Nations lands”. He even appeared on Stossel to promote this concept.  View the video on YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KwMyIKV1c. 
Note to mainstream society:  do not take Manny Jules’ views as everyone’s view or as the only view regarding the status of First Nations lands.   He can speak for his own community but he does not have the authority to speak for the rest of us.  I, personally, do not agree with Manny Jules’ views as it tends to flow so nicely and hand-in-hand with Harper’s current agenda of assimilating First Nations people into mainstream society. 
We do not have to privatize our lands in order for economic development to occur in our communities.  We have a right to self-government and we can do what whatever we want with our land, including the right to develop the resources on and under that land and to make a profit from those resources.  It is our land despite what Canada and the U.S. say!!  Furthermore, we have to put ourselves in the driver’s seat!! We should not be asking or waiting for the federal governments of the U.S and Canada to put us in the driver’s seat. 
Stephen Harper and Manny Jules should remake Sonny and Cher’s 1965 duet, “I Got You Babe”.
Jules:               They say we're young and we don't know
                        We won't find out until we grow

Harper:            Well I don't know if all that's true
                        'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

Harper:            Babe

BOTH:            I got you babe
                        I got you babe

Jules:               They say our love won't pay the rent
                        Before it's earned, our money's all been spent

Harper:            I guess that's so, we don't have a pot
                        But at least I'm sure of all the things we got

Harper:            Babe

BOTH:            I got you babe
                        I got you babe

Harper:            I got flowers in the spring
                        I got you to wear my ring

Jules:               And when I'm sad, you're a clown
                       And if I get scared, you're always around
                       Don't let them say your hair's too long
                       'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong

Harper:            Then put your little hand in mine
                        There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb

Harper:            Babe
BOTH:            I got you babe
                        I got you babe

Harper:            I got you to hold my hand

Jules:               I got you to understand

Harper:            I got you to walk with me

Jules:               I got you to talk with me
                        I got you to kiss goodnight
                        I got you to hold me tight
                        I got you, I won't let go
                        I got you to love me so

BOTH:            I got you babe
                        I got you babe
                        I got you babe
                        I got you babe
                        I got you babe

Enjoy the video of Sonny and Cher singing “I Got You Babe”:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERd61bDY7k

No comments:

Post a Comment